With rigs like the ICOM 756 Pro 2 there is an additional command you can
invoke to turn on "digital" mode with either USB-D or LSB-D.

Similar with at least some Kenwood rigs, even old ones such as the
TS-440SAT, you can ground a specific pin in the 13 pin DIN circuit and
that mutes the mike. I made a breakout box many years ago with 3 coax
cable runs from the 13 PIN plug to RCA phono jacks.

I realize that I can change the pin outs for the ICOM 7000 type rigs
that require a different set of pins from the Kenwood but I cnan still
use the same BOB. With the most basic interfacing, you can run from an
interface, such as the SCI-6 kit from Unified Microsystems with three
RCA phono cables, one for audio in, one for audio out, and PTT but you
need to make up a different set of cables to fit different rigs,
depending on what connectors they use.

You must not allow the mike to be operating when doing digital modes in
RTTY/data portions of the bands since it would not be legal operation if
background audio was also being sent on the frequency. Only the tones
from the RTTY/Data mode should be allowed to be transmitted.

The exception can be on VHF frequencies that allow such use. Then you
could even use "acoustic coupling" which is a very simple way to
"interface" a rig to a computer without an interface.