Benson wrote:
--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Dave AA6YQ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On what basis do you claim that Olivia, DominoEX, and MFSK are
"better" than
PSK for ragchewing? Olivia is slow, and MFSK is difficult to tune.

I could care less about "mode envy" but I will say that I enjoy both
Olivia and MFSK16. Both are much more tolerant of poor band conditions
than PSK and who cares if Olivia is slow - you're talking about
ragchewing, not contesting. Too, I haven't found MFSK16 hard to tune
at all. I'm using MultiPSK so perhaps it depends on the software
implementation. I'm aware that both use more bandwidth and have a lack
of panoramic decoding but again, we aren't talking about contesting.

I too have not had any problems in tuning MFSK16 and particularly since the better programmers have added a short pulse of carrier at the beginning of each transmission.
One only has to place the marker over that pulse and tunning is done.
If one uses a really top digital program such as Multipsk with RSID then not only is the mode recognized and the software automatically changed to that mode, but it also accurately tunes to the signal. It is obvious that there are a lot of vocal hams out there who are ignorant of the present state of the digital art

Kevin
VK5OA