I guess some people thought it was a Big Deal, but there were lots
of reasons why it didn't go anywhere.

I'd say the overriding one is that with 60 wpm Baudot RTTY the bit
length is 22 milliseconds.  With 100 wpm ASCII 110 baud the bit
length is 9 milliseconds.  That means 2.4 times the bandwidth, and
correspondingly more noise sensitivity.  Maybe for VHF local work
it wouldn't matter; but for HF that's a big penalty.  And we were
already running 500 watts or so to get good copy on RTTY.

Other reasons include the plentiful supply of old Baudot Teletype
machines, versus having to buy a new one for ASCII, until CRT
terminals came along.  And so many guys can't even type 60 wpm
that the ability to operate at 100 wpm wasn't interesting.  And
for rag chewing, contests, and DX, the upper case only Baudot
character set is entirely sufficient.  Of course the earlier
ASCII Teletypes were also upper case only.  And the lower cost
ASCII Teletype, Model 33, had terrible keyboard touch compared
with the older Baudot machines.  ASCII was advantageous only for
applications involving connection to computers, or for applications
requiring upper and lower case characters.  Teletype's original
up/low machines, Model 37 and Model 38, were failures; so it was
the CRT terminal business that really made ASCII practical.

Jim W6JVE