The closer you are to the MUF with a path between two points often
results in the most stable path. That is why HF packet worked well
during peak times of the sunspot cycle where higher frequencies,
especially 10 meters worked very well.

I have used fldigi on both Windoze and Linsux operating systems and also
include flarq for ARQ testing. It seems a bit unwieldly to me and I have
not had much success in getting others to try this function. As an alpha
tester, I am very supportive and impressed with fldigi which is the only
cross platform multi-mode digital program. It does not have any BBS
features, but like you point out, if someone implemented these features
into a local BBS system ...