Howard Brown escribió:

>  GM Jose,
>
>  There is one point in your post I would like to bring up. Where you
>  say:
>
>  >"Multitasking cannot handle tight ARQ timing windows.
>
>  >It is a pity that noone has come forward (as far as I know) a real
>  >time OS (RTL, for instance) with a proposal usable on an old PC as
>  >packet engine with a sound card as modem. The problem is not the PC
>  >itself, but the prevalent OS's."
>
>  Why not challenge the need for the tight timing windows?  This
>  creates more wear and tear and the radio but what real benefit does
>  it provide?  I believe that the NBEMS package and the RFSM8000
>  package prove that you can have effective ARQ without the fast
>  switching.

Examples of tight timing and succesful implementation are P-II and
P-III, not only AMTOR, with its hair raising clicking....

I never tried SCAMP, which seemingly did well running under Windows.
Actually, I have entrenched on my mind what
gave me good results, but certainly, that may not be the only way for
success, I have to admit.

Examples of the success of tight timing are WSPR and WSJT, and
certainly, knowing WHEN to expect input  is a bonus.
None of them generate such a high wear and tear. WHEN may be absolute,
like in WSJT, related to the UTC time scale,
or relative, in some time measure after the last received packet.

I have had little luck with RFSM8000,  because of  my perennial lack of
time in recent times and the little user mass it has generated.

>  I would love to see Linux used more and not need to deal with Windows
but still, the quick switching seems to be of little value.

It was a way, which certainly, has been proven not to be the only one.
You cannot entirely disegard trends, that may vary in time.

I was the sysop of three BBS's at a time, on MSDOS (even with Desqview
"multitasking"),  Linux and Windows (the last one was a quick hack and
an exercise in lazyness) and I liked BBS's.

Forwarding over radio links, with all the freedoms it provides, and some
associated extra responsibilities too. But I fail to see the comeback of
the BBS's.
Winlink may be useful, but it hardly substiututes the "packet" network
the way it operated in the 90's.

I have very good memories of the Linux based systems I ran (node, FBB,
JNOS, DXNET), both were highly resilient and almost bulletproof. Uptime
was usually more than 30 days, and the PC's ran without battery backups.
I always used hardware TNC's, Kantronics and SCS.

Pactor allowed 1 MB per day of forwarding on HF easily. Packet (300
baud) hardly ever exceeded 100 kb per day.

73,

Jose, CO2JA