Alan,

Why do you prefer the SlimJim over the J-Pole?

LB Cebik did an in depth comparison of the two antennas and found the
J-Pole to be slightly better in performance.

Recently, our club had a J-Pole antenna building party and it was
difficult to get them tuned up where we wanted them using TV twinlead.

My best success with homebrew verticals has been when I used 450 ohm
slotted line, but I have never tried building the SlimJim's. Maybe they
are easier to match?