Ri ck, I`ve built both. I`ve compared them side by side and the slimjim wins. I could hear and get into repeaters with the slimjim that I could not with the jpole. Plus it matches much easier and is easier to build than the jpole. I always used the 450 ladderline to build the slim jim. The tv twinlead is a lot harder to work with. The one advantage of the jpole I found was that when you made it out of copper it was easier to mount. To mount the slimjim from the bottom. I put the ladderline in 1 in pvc and really taped a fiberglass rod to the side of it. Then I mounted the ant by clamping the fiberglass rod to a metal mast and it works good. Note, enclosing the ladderline will change the optimum feed point...hope this answers your question...73, Alan

Why do you prefer the SlimJim over the J-Pole?

LB Cebik did an in depth comparison of the two antennas and found the
J-Pole to be slightly better in performance.

Recently, our club had a J-Pole antenna building party and it was
difficult to get them tuned up where we wanted them using TV twinlead.

My best success with homebrew verticals has been when I used 450 ohm
slotted line, but I have never tried building the SlimJim's. Maybe they
are easier to match?