Daniel,

For 30 mHz and above, try to find a rig that does 6M and 2M, an "all
mode" where you can do both FM and SSB

I used to run a packet BBS on 2M FM about 17 years ago.  While there
is plenty of packet activity in the St Kitts area, I am not sure of
there is a BBS active or not.  Last I checked for WNY, there were
none.  Most of packet activity is Flexnet, nodes that link areas for
emergency communications.

Getting something other than your handheld's rubber duck will be
important.  I will be happy to do some 2M FM digital experiments with
you.  Since I moved I am no longer line of site to your area but
should be able to work you .

Packet radio does fairly quick switching between transmit and receive,
so you will need a circuit that automates this for your handheld.
There are some commercial ones available ,  but they may expect a TNC
rather than a soundcard PC interface.  I'll leave it to others here to
advise on that.

Andy