--- On Sun, 2/22/09, Gmail - Kevin, Natalia, Stacey & Rochelle
<spar...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Gmail - Kevin, Natalia, Stacey & Rochelle <spar...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: Modes - What are they and What about New
Developement??
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 7:43 PM

Andrew,

Now that you mention it I have heard of DSB suppressed carrier, but none of the
others. But isn't DSB acutally AM? Either with or without the carrier? I will
have to look at this.
I will have to have a look at these other modes, couple of them sound
interesting.

Thanks for the info

Kevin, ZL1KFM.

DSB can be thought of as AM with the carrier removed.  SSB is usually one
sideband with the carrier removed.   You can have ssb and a carrier and pick it
up on a normal AM receiver.
If you insert the carrier to a DSB signal then you have normal AM.

It is sometimes a play on words.  SSB is normally thought of as one sideband
and supressed carrier.  DSB is usually both sidebands and supressed carrier.
AM is both sidebands and the carrier.