Hi Kevin,

Perhaps it might help to use the ITU three symbol Classification of
Emissions?

The first symbol considers the main carrier modulation with letters such
as A = DSB AM, B = independent sidebands, etc. This would give you the
AM modes and the F = FM and G = PM modulation types.

Then they include the second symbol which is the nature of the signal
that is modulating the main carrier such as 0 = no modulation, 1 =
quantized or digital signal with no subcarrier, 2 = quantized or digital
signal with sub carrier and 3 single analog channel.

Finally, they include the third symbol or type of information to be
transmitted such as N = no information, A = telegraphy using manual
aural reception, B = telegraphy using machine automatic reception, C =
facsimile, D = Data, telecommand, telemetry, E = telephony, F = TV, etc.

The various digital modes are really a combination of base modulation
with the addition of a quantized signal, plus the type of information.

The only modulation that hams typical use are AM and FM/PM and if
digital modes are used, they are superimposed on the base modulation.

Hope that might shed some light on the matter.