In the grand scheme of things, the old MIL-STD-188-141A form that we can
legally use is very rare other than one group that sends out HF beacons.
I had hoped at one time that we could use this for public
service/emergency use but being one of the very few hams worldwide who
actually tried to use the system, was actually attacked because I had a
lot of difficulty trying to get it to work. I was actually criticized
for being stupid, not really wanting it to work, etc. I was appalled at
this behavior as many others were and it has insured even less interest
by many of us.

One individual claimed huge numbers of hams using the system but it
proved to be completely false. I pointed out that I monitored their web
site that displays world wide connections and found that over several
days, other than the beacon stations, I was actually one of the most
active, if not the only other station using it for messaging!

Their solution was to completely block me from even accessing the web
site so that those of us who can answer your question, are kept from
doing so. Needless to say, when you do this to your friends, you don't
need enemies.

The truth is that the older ALE technology from the 1970's is not going
to be used by hams. I have since asked many hams about this and the
response was extremely negative and parallels some of my experiences.

Having said that, the more modern "ALE" modes, such as MIL-STD-188-110A
are not legal for U.S. hams on HF so they are going nowheres. Even if
they were legal, testing by hams in other countries indicate that
signals have to be very good for this to work, especially with sound
card techniques which currently do not have the robust signal capability
at the slowest 75 bps speed.

As you point out, if there really was an significant use, it would be
very apparent to those of us who monitor the HF bands everyday. What is
clear, is that most hams don't do digital, but for the few that do, it
is mostly PSK31 and RTTY, with an occasional Olivia, MFSK16, or other
mode that they might be testing. When a new mode is developed, there may
be a flurry of activity for a few days or weeks, but unless it is
superior to what we already have, and few have been, then you may not
hear much about the mode after that.

Right now the best chat and messaging mode that I have used is FAE400
which is a narrower and slower version of MIL-STD-188-141A. This is the
only currently available sound card mode that works fairly well into the
noise, can provide both chat and messaging ARQ error free connections.
But there are few who use it.