Good points, Dave,

Considering that RTTY, the oldest digital mode (not counting morse code
which goes back to spark), is still one of the most common modes, and
PSK31 is the most common of the newer modes, it appears that there is
only a small interest in any new digital technology.  When I ask other
hams why they don't do digital, (which is most hams), some indicate they
don't want to do anything with interfacing their computer or they don't
type and have no interest in such things. As a promoter of digital modes
at least I am on the schedule for our local ham club to do a digital
presentation next November, so you can see it is not exactly high
priority, HI. (I did a demo last summer using Judy's HF mobile station
with one of our quick setup NVIS HF antennas and showed several hams her
computer/rig/interface for digital).

The HF Digital Procol Survey done by Paul, W4RI, Chief Technology
Officer Officer of ARRL, suggested that:

- few hams were interested in this information as the results were
shockingly low ... only 83 of us responded between the Request for
Information date of Feb 22, 2007 and July 2007. Very telling.

- many of the responses were non-technical comments, although supportive
of ARRL's initiative to develop new non-proprietary HF protocols

- but he did indicate that some hams did not seem to support ARRL being
involved in such an endeavor and instead use existing protocols

- there were were widely varying views on whether OFDM or single tone
modems were the best choice.

- In other words there was not a lot of consensus that came out of the
RFI from a technical perspective. There was consensus on any new
developments being OS neutral and independent of having a specific
hardware platform.

Bottom line was that is an interest in new non-proprietary modes, but no
specific direction for the actual technical features. He felt that there
was a small but growing interest in MIL-STD HF protocols including ALE,
but realistically this does not seem to reflect the majority of digital
interest on discussion groups or on the air.

One thing not mentioned was that MIL-STD-188-110(x) type modes primarily
focus on single tone modems with high baud rates that are not legal here
in the U.S. HF ham bands (at least not in the RTTY/Data portions), so 39
tone parallel modems would need to be used and some felt OFDM may not be
the best choice.

In the final analysis, it is fair to say that there was no groundswell
of interest, no consensus of specific technology, that came out of the
RFI so it may be a dead issue.

What continues to happen (and it is logical that it does) is that
specific interests by one or more developers causes them to focus on
something that they personally like or believe will fulfill a niche. In
the last year or so we had NBEMS and FAE400 as the breakthroughs. This
year it will likely be WINMOR for e-mail and if it works as well as I
think it will, and if others incorporate this technology into other
programs that can go far beyond just the e-mail part, it could be the
next big thing.

HFDEC yahoogroup moderator (Hams for Disaster and Emergency Communications)