Greetings, all.

I'm a rather new ham and very recent General class licensee who is very
interested in digitial modes.  I've acquired a RiggBlaster, fabricated a
second computer-to-tranceiver control interface (home brew version of
CT17 from N9ZLE) and have got Simon Brown's HRD and DM780 (awesome
software so far) apparently working with my little IC-718.  I've begun
"surfing the bands" (mostly 10M and 20M) looking for signals.  But I am
having trouble audibly recognizing the sound of the various modes,
however.  I get some reasonably good signals from my modest little
stealth dipoles (combo 10M/20M), but can't seem to get clean copy ... I
try switching through the various digital modes, whether RTTY, PSK31*,
or whatever.   It could be a noise level thing.  I am scratching my head
at this point.

I have a smattering of sample audio files of some of the modes on the
disk that came with my RiggBlaster, and found a few more on KB9UKD's
site here: http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/
<http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/>  .  Anyone have suggestions for other
sources?  (yeah, I can spell google ...  [;)]  ... but my finding so far
have not been that good ).  To my admittedly inexperienced ears, most of
the signals I stumble across sound like like packet modes that use
proprietary hardware solutions.

Any other suggestions for the Newb Digital Moder looking at sound card
modes?  I've tried a few of the other digital mode Windoze programs,
with mixed results, none as good as HRD/DM780.  Should I be trying any
other specific software?  I've done a little homework, including reading
Ford's "HF Digital Handbook".  I am probably doing something patently
wrong.  It could be as simple as my stealth antenna is too dang low to
the ground and I need to get it up in the air higher to catch a decent
signal.  It's probably time for me to drop into the local area HAM club
and pick a few brains, but I thought I'd start with ya'll here first.
It's easier to appear clueless behind an email.    [:D]   All clues
appreciated.

- Doug - KE7SEI