My preference would be to follow the band plan. Assuming I understand
things correctly, on 30 meters it is intended that modes up to 2700 Hz
remain in the 10.140 - 10.150 sub band and all narrow digimodes (500 Hz
or less) in the 10.130 - 10.140, with 10.100 - 10.130 for CW. There is
no comment on automatic operation on that band.

Why not operate on what has been an unused part of the band from about
10.132 - 10.138? Do you hear stations operating in that part in your
region? I tune around quite a bit and have found it pretty much dead.

As far as busy frequency detection, I suspect that Winlink 2000 may
continue with their rather open viewpoint expressed by their
administrator that turning off such protection is needed due to
malicious activities and because the bands are so busy. But then again
maybe they will surprise us.