> k2ncc asked:
> ...is it legal to transmit on the digital modes
> sub-bands modes that are greater than 1000 wide,
> like Olivia 2000?

Yes. Under the present "content-based" rules for
hams in USA, FCC has confirmed that there isn't
really a specific bandwidth limit for most types
of modern digital data signals on HF... other than the
maximum limit of the "RTTY/data subband" segment...
for example, on 20 meters, hams in USA can
legally transmit a 150kHz bandwidth data signal
(14100kHz to 14150kHz).

See the FCC order May 7, 2008 denying the
"Digital Stone Age" petition:
http://www.hflink.com/fcc/digitalstoneage/FCC_denies_digital_stone_age_petition.PDF

In that FCC order, [paragraph 10] FCC said:
"Our rules do not specifically limit the
permissible bandwidth for RTTY and data emissions
in the amateur HF bands."

FCC explained [paragraph 10] further:
"We believe that these rules provide amateur
service licensees the flexibility to develop new
technologies within the spectrum authorized for
the various classes of licensees, while protecting
other users of the spectrum from harmful interference.
We also believe that imposing a maximum bandwidth
limitation on data emissions would result in a loss
of flexibility to develop and improve technologies
as licensees' operating interests change, new
technologies are incorporated, and frequency bands
are reallocated."

73 Bonnie KQ6XA