> Dave AA6YQ wrote:
> There is unquestionably a bandwidth restriction
> on HF for frequency-shift keying, ....

Hi Dave,

Sorry, old friend, but you are incorrect.
In the USA data/RTTY bands 160meters-10meters,
the FSK rule is a "shift restriction". It is
not a "bandwidth restriction".

The attempt to equate or change the
"shift restriction" into a "bandwidth restriction"
was denied one year ago by FCC (May 2008).

In the "Digital Stone Age Petition" denial FCC Order
[paragraph 10] FCC said:

 "Our rules do not specifically limit the
permissible bandwidth for RTTY and data emissions
in the amateur HF bands."

Plain and simple: FCC has conscientiously chosen
to set no specific bandwidth limit for RTTY/data
or phone emissions on HF/MF bands.

For those who want bandwidth limits, perhaps it
is time to reconsider a new bandwidth-based spectrum
managagement petition to FCC?

I have been a proponent of bandwidth-based spectrum
management for ham radio. I don't believe that
content-based spectrum management is conducive
to advancement of RF digital technology, and I
don't believe it is advantageous for hams.

However, "The Law of Unintended Consequences"
often applies to FCC rulings... and the petitioner
may be severely disappointed by the outcome.

A good example of unintended petition results was
the one that reduced our freedom by making the
40 and 80 meter RTTY/data sub-bands get smaller!

73 Bonnie KQ6XA

http://www.hflink.com/fcc/digitalstoneage/FCC_denies_digital_stone_age_petition.PDF