Hi Andy,

There is no simple universal relationship between
the "shift" and the transmitted "signal bandwidth",
because there are so many factors other than "shift"
that contribute to the bandwidth of an "FSK" signal:

1. Symbol rate
2. Shape of waveform
3. Symbol transition point
4. Filtering
5. Number of tone frequencies
6. Transmitter chain
7. Other factors related to modulation process
8. Noise
9. Transmitter oscillator spectral purity
10. Definition of bandwidth

This is an especially complex calculation for
multiple frequency FSK signals, commonly
4-ary FSK, 8-ary FSK, 16-ary FSK, 32-ary FSK etc.
where the number of shift frequencies is greater
than 2, or the number of carriers is greater than 1.

The FCC rule says "maximum frequency shift of
1 kilohertz between mark and space." But,
that FCC rule was written in the old days when
common ham RTTY was Frequency Shift Keyed between
only 2 frequencies, technically described by
"mark and space". However, in modern multiple
tone frequency shift techniques, with binary
symbols there is no such thing as "mark and space".
Thus, the rule became inapplicable to the new
multiple frequency shifting keying modes.

When the FCC was asked to convert from "shift
limit" to "bandwidth limit", the FCC refused,
and at the same time, FCC said it had chosen not to
limit bandwidth because it is important for
ham radio to have the freedom to innovate and
develop new techniques.

Thus, the mark and space shift limit became a
mere footnote in history that largely does not
affect most modern digital techniques used in
ham radio today.

If you wish to delve into the finer math points
of relationship between bandwidth and shift, may
I suggest reading Section 6 (starting on page 37)
of this fine document:
"Necessary Bandwidth and Spectral Properties of
Digital Modulation" by David J. Cohen:
http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/pub/ntia-rpt/84-168/84-168.pdf

73 Bonnie KQ6XA