Thanks again, folks, for the Newb replies last month.

I've been busy dealing with some family health issues since then, but finally
got back to my Great Digital Communications Exploration this week.  Today I
landed my first QSO!  Got a 599 from Mexico right off the bat on my first
attempt.  Followed up with another from OK
 (from here at my QTH in northwest Oregon).

Lessons learned and changes made:

1 - BAD built-in sound card (or driver) in the laptop.  My little Lenovo's
built in sound card was not sampling at a high enough rate to get decent copy,
even from pre-recorded signals.  I updated the drivers with the latest from the
mgfer's website, but no improvements.  Solution: replace nearly new laptop
(dual 1.6 GHz CPU) with old P3 900 MHz box sitting under the dust in the corner
of the shop.  Boom!  It works!  (total setup time from power up to operational
HRD/DM780: 20 minutues)  For future field day type stuff, I may add a PCMCIA
sound card to the lappie and give it a chance to redeem itself.

2 - Hoist up that Dipole - I combined my two back porch 10M and 20M dipoles
into a single 5 band (20/17/15/12/10) home-made dipole in the attic: still
operating in stealth mode, but about 5' higher off the ground and away from the
gutter flashing.  And now I have 3 more bands to play with.

3 - Old cables need love, too!  When I put my modest station together, it got a
new IC-718, but everything else was "scrounged", including a little Dentron
tuner I landed off of ebay for $15.  I used an old stretch of RG8 from my CB
radio days (circa 1975) to connect the tuner to the antenna.  The SWR was just
not looking right, so I took everything apart and found the ground connection
on one side of my cable was decidedly bad.  Resoldered the connector and SWR
came right down (to managable < 2 levels).

4 - Shrink up that ground path.  I moved my "shack" into the corner of the
garage and shrank the ground cable from 25' to 6'.  Noise level is down and
there's no discernible RFI on my home media center anymore.

I look forward to a rash of new QSO's in my future ... I am seeing 20M calls in
from Serbia, European Russia, Costa Rica, and other points all around the US 1K
miles away and more.  Cheers and thanks again for the advice.

- Doug / KE7SEI

PS - Still trying out all of the various Windoze PSKware, including those
suggested here, but HRD/DM780 is still my new best friend.  Thank you, Simon!