Hi Bill,

I was looking at the FT-920 manual aand it seems like you have to set the mode
to DATA-USB when using the data jack. There are some other settings after that
that I didn't really follow since I've never had my hands on that radio. See
pages 55 and 56 of the  manual and maybe it will make sense to you or your
friend.

I think the manual was written before PSK31 and the other soundcard modes
became popular, and they don't give specific help.

Mike kc9doa