I always assumed that it had a lot to do with the amount of activity vs.
finding someone. CW or other operators wanting to make a specific
contact on a band or location, such as for an award, need some way to
find a similar operator.

There is a smaller subset of digital hams and those digital hams mostly
use PSK31. They only have need for extra help if they want to go beyond
PSK31 and work less commonly used modes or for awards perhaps?

No matter how much we have tried to promote the newer modes, some of
which have special attributes such as being far more robust than PSK31,
have ARQ capability that is not available to keyboard chat modes, etc.,
the reaction I have personally gotten from other hams is that PSK31 is
good enough and when it doesn't work, they do other things.

As a recent example, a ham from a nearby community is was introduced as
the digital expert so I was very interested in seeing if he would be
interested in working some of the new modes, especially because a large
focus of his group was with public service communication. I was quite
surprised when he seemed almost annoyed with me for even suggesting that
any other digital modes exist than PSK31 or should even be used on the
ham bands.

Since most digital hams use only PSK31, and there are well known
watering hole frequencies on the popular bands, they never need any help
with internet coordination. If a given band is open, they can almost
always find someone.

By the way, what is the LOTW group intended to be used for?