From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:digitalra...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Andrew O'Brien
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:38 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [digitalradio] Zapped PCs, data recovery, and Windows !

After years or running PC's without issues, I have had 4 go bad in 12
months.  Two this week, 4 days apart via thunderstorms .  One went today
just an hour after I had fully reinstalled ham equipment on a new PC that
arrived yesterday.  The new one survived, I had unplugged it at the sound of
thunder.  I powered off the older one but forgot to remove the power cord,
it got zapped.  I put in a spare power supply that i had, that lasted  5
minutes and gave up the ghost.  Maybe something else was weakened by the
original zap and caused the second power supply to burn out.

Anyway, my main issue is the frustrating fact that I have data on hard
drives that seems ridiculously complex to retrieve when using
Windows based PCs. My local computer store tells me that one cannot simply
take a hard drive from a old Pc and place it in a new PC even if you have a
Windows license disc  for the new PC.  Is this correct?  In the past I have
taken old drives and installed them in different PC's as slave drives.
However this causes one to have to re-install many programs because they
were originally installed to the registry on a C-drive.

So what do I do with 5 hard drives laying around the shack ?  In particular
one two-drive system with 160 gigs of useful data on it (both have  Windows
OS on them since both are from different original PC systems!) .  It would
be nice to install in to a PC without having to get a HD with an OS on it.
--
Andy