An update on this issue...  I have successfully installed an OLD HD with
Windows XP in to a new PC as a primary drive.

I did not intend to do this, after lightning zapped two PCs lately, I bought
a cheap Dell via Ebay!  You get what you pay for because within a few hours
the new Ebay PC's Hard Drive stopped working (just after I installed all the
ham software!  ).

So, just out of interest, I took the kaput HD out and installed an old HD of
the same brand.  It booted up but asked for a valid product key.  I called
Microsoft for assistance and they ask for a series of numbers generated by
Windows after I input the XP key from my OLD PC.  Yes, despite no use for 2
years I still had the case of my old Emachines PC, the same PC whose HD and
OS I was now using in a Dell. The Microsoft rep used the numbers I gave him
to generate a NEW key.  I used the new key and then was able to re-install
Windows XP from a HD partition.  I then updated to SP3, also need to
validate again but the key from the back of the old PC worked.  I'm still
updating as I type but so far so good.

So now my $46 Dell boots up as an Emachine !  I am not sure exactly what I
did but it looks like the answer to my original question is that you CAN
install a old HD and OS in to a different PC provided you use the product
key from your old machine.

Here's hoping that no more HD die or PC get zapped for a while, I'm getting
tired of installing software repeatedly.

Andy K3UK