From: Charles Brabham <n5...@uspacket.org>
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, October 27, 2009 8:55:38 AM
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Why would anyone

Hard to tell if you are trying to ask a question,
or make a statement. In either case though, your post indicates a lack of
understanding that I may be able to relieve.

Unattended operation has been codified into PART97
for close to thirty years now, and was done in response to the emergence of
digital communications on the ham bands. Part of the 'why' of this codification
of unattended digital communications can be garnered from the introduction at
HamRadioNet:

=====
Amateurs radio operators are the only group of private individuals in the
world who have the ways and means to fund, build and maintain a worldwide
communications network, independent of the internet and commercial or
government
entities. This is our own mount Everest, that only we may climb 'because it is
there' only for ham radio operators like ourselves.
We do not have to worry about how our efforts compare to others in this area,
as there are no others who can reasonably attempt to approach this task.
Whatever we accomplish here is the state of the art, and represents the
combined, cooperative efforts of thousands of individual amateur radio
operators
around the globe.
To be involved in the global amateur radio network is to be a part of amateur
radio's single greatest international accomplishment, and the true advancement
of the radio art.
=====
The original Packet network that the new sections of PART97 and the automated
sub-bands fostered is still functioning well after close the three decades,
though it has suffered a setback due to the advent of internet
communications. This setback is not due to 'competition' as many erringly
express it, as the internet is not an amateur radio activity at all, which
precludes any 'competition' between the two. Remember that amateurs are
prohibited from providing any communication service in competition with
existing
communications services in any case, as we have recently been reminded by
the FCC.
The internet-related setback that the Packet net experienced was partly a
brain-drain as digital networking enthusiasts moved on to internet services
where they could get paid for their work, partly due to over-hyping by the ARRL
that turned into a distinct liability in the face of near universal internet
access, and partly due to the realities of networking with amateur radio, which
cannot really adhere to the internet model since our long-haul 'backbone' links
( HF ) are significantly SLOWER than our access links ( VHF,UHF,SHF ) directly
opposite to the model that wired networks like the internet are built
upon.
That last factor, the way that the relationship
between the throughput of 'backbone' and 'access' links is reversed from that
of
existing wired networks has turned out to be the biggest setback of all, as
many
amateurs just do not appear to be able to comprehend digital networking on any
basis that is not identical to the internet ( wired ) model. Because of this,
various unfortunate attempts have been made to make digital ham radio
networking
fit the procrustian bed of IT. ( internet technology )

We see that in the unrealistic and obnoxious
attempts to obtain high-speed on HF, which always involve ultra-wide digital
signals which have no place in limited, busy, shared HF spectrum. We see it in
the attempts to provide 'privacy' in ham radio pectrum, where we are expected
self-police through the process of peer review, and we also see it in the cases
where amateur radio digital networkers throw up their hands and use non-ham
communications resources ( internet gateways ) to route around and exclude
amateur radio digital links which do not fit well in the only networking
paradigm they comprehend. - It is ironic but true that these confused
individuals actually think that they are making digital amateur radio 'better'
by taking te radio out of it, substituting non-ham resources in its
place.

By the late 1980's, amateur radio operators
had developed a digital network that spanned the globe, involving the efforts
of
thousands of amateurs who worked to build network resources on all of the
commonly utilized ham bands. Besides the world-spanning HF network, there were
large-scale VHF/UHF terrestrial networks that covered large sections of the
USA, most of Europe and metropolitan areas of many countries around the
globe.

Some of that has gone away in response to
widespread internet access, no more ARRL hype, abortive attempts to repeal the
laws of physics, and the inclusion of non-ham links which only served to retard
the advancement of the art instead of bringing it forward. Still, a large part
of what once was is still in operation, though at a reduced level of traffic
and
coverage.

The good news is that we are now approaching a
turning of the tide as amateurs once again approach the concept of a global
amateur radio digital network with a new understanding of the pitfalls we face,
along with the advantages we enjoy over traditional wired networks. We have had
a good start, a serious setback and now, a new beginning.

The reason that anybody would want to operate an
unattended digital ham radio station is that to do so allows you to participate
in the greatest adventure ever undertaken by amateur radio operators... An
adventure and an international accomplishment that only we as ham radio
operators may realistically aspire to do.

73 DE Charles Brabham, N5PVL

Prefer to use radio for your amateur radio communications? - Stop by at
HamRadioNet. Org !

http://www.hamradionet.org