In Multipsk and PC-ALE there are settings that enable the user to select the
scanning rate .  The scan rate needs to match the typical length of a
"sounding" or a individual call. .  By that I mean,  if a station sounds for
15 seconds but you change frequency every 30 seconds, you are going to miss
a call and defeat one of the main features of ALE.  Typically, a 2 seconds
per channel scan rate is quite sufficient and all rigs that I know of can do
this.   Sometimes I slow it down and choose a 5 second per channel option,
this works well too.  I am puzzled by the fact tha ALE default digital mode
is accepted as not be very robust but I have seen it detect basic callsigns
from a very weak signal while scanning quite fast.

If your rig is scanning the 80.40,30,20,15,17,12,10 ALE data channels that
is 8 channels covered in 16 seconds.  The next issue , if doing multiband
scanning with a non-resonant antenna, is can your antenna tuner detect you
have changed frequency and match the new frequency quickly enough (before
transmit begins).  My TS2000 can, my TS440 cannot .  The TS440 antenna tuner
does not memorize settings and thus has to take time to match each time,
that is too long for ALE.

Please note that I agree with Charles, ALE does have a "lid" factor in that
you can transmit automatically and on top of another  QSO.  I am advocating
that we do this will in the shack and listening first.

Andy K3UK