Thanks for the explanation of scanning.  I don't think the scanning part of
this will be in the cards for me right now, but I am still interesting in
participating.

"I agree with Charles, ALE does have a "lid" factor in that you can transmit
automatically and on top of another  QSO.  I am advocating that we do this
will in the shack and listening first."

I could not agree with Charles and you more on this point.  If the busy
channel feature is lacking then, being in the shack when operating this mode
is the only right thing to do.

Personally, automatic operation doesn't do it for me.  Each to his/her own.
I just find it more entertaining when there is a live human on the end.

philw de ka1gmn