Well, it was not really a GREAT experiment in the  grand scheme of
things... but it worked .  Phil KA1GMN proved my earlier point about
ALE.. despite a lack of overall "robustness" comapred to other digital
modes... it IS USEFUL for finding people.  Today I was scanning
multiple frequencies and bands ...every 2 seconds,  and my station
heard a call for me from KA1GMN... The software cause my rig to stopp
scanning, our stations LINKED , we used the AMD mode in ALE for brief
keyboard chat, determined that we could have an easier time with
another mode, chose ALE400 and had a nice long QSO with great copy.

So, ALE does provide a useful way to contact friends and an
alternative to traditional CQ methods.

Andy K3UK