>>>AA6YQ comments below

-----Original Message-----
From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:digitalra...@yahoogroups.com]on
Behalf Of expeditionradio
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:29 AM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [digitalradio] Contesters and DXers should use busy detectors

 All contesters and DX pileup participants should use busy detectors!

>>>All contesters and DX pileup participants *have* busy frequency
detectors: their ears.

This is quite evident since it has been proven that such types of operation
are the source of 99% of "harmful interference" and "intentional
interference" on the HF ham bands.

>>>Please provide or cite this proof.

Manual methods of busy detection have been proven to be devoid of merit.

Contesters and DX pileup technologists can start developing the "DX/Contest
Busy Detector" with SSB and PSK and RTTY and CW, the most common modes.

When they have a busy detector that is proven to work during contests and
pileups, then the remaining 1% of rare other modes and other types of
operation that are normally the recipient of "harmful interference" and
"intentional interference"   can consider adopting the tried and proven
"DX/contest Busy Detector".

The 1% "rare mode" operators should continue to use the present methods that
have proven to have a high probability of not causing harmful or intentional
interference.

Put your money where your mouth is. Develop a busy detector for
DX/contesters.

If your busy detector is successful in preventing the vast majority of
harmful and intentional interference of contests and DX pileups, then the
rest of the  ham community can widely adopt it.

>>>The above is one more instance of a bogus argument you and others have
long made: "because some contesters and DXers cause QRM, all unattended
automatic stations are entitled to cause QRM". By the same logic, you could
claim that "because some contesters and DXers splatter, all unattended
automatic stations are entitled to splatter". Or that all unattended
automatic stations are entitled to operate with 5 KW, or are entitled to
operate out of their licensed band segments.

>>>This attitude is cynical and destructive. Amateur radio involves the
shared use of limited spectrum among users with diverse interests. This has
worked through a combination of sensible rules, useful guidelines, and
generally good judgment on the part of individual operators. However, when
one group decides that their interest is superior to all others, and that
they are therefore free to ignore the rules and guidelines, the result is
chaos and frustration -- as we've seen over the past several years. You have
made it clear that you consider the use of amateur radio to make random
contacts to be archaic. That's fine; you are entitled to you use our shared
spectrum however you see fit -- as long as you obey the rules and guidelines
so that you do not prevent those with different interests and perspectives
from using that same spectrum. Deploying unattended automatic stations that
cannot determine whether or not they will QRM an on-going QSO before
transmitting is a blatant violation of our service's rules, guidelines and
ethics; justifying this behavior by arguing that some human operators
violate these rules is the antithesis of the principles underlying amateur
radio. As I'm sure you know, two wrongs do not make a right.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ