> Reed-Solomon identification – it is Google-able.  A form of error correction
> or as we use it here, a form of mode /rate / number of tones etc
> identification.

Technically, this explanation is a bit misnomer. While the Reed-Solomon codes
are designed to detect and fix errors and there are various complex algorithms
to do it, Patrick "just" used the Reed Solomon theory to generate a set of
codes, which are most different from each other and from their mirror images
when listening with reversed sideband. The RSID detector is much simpler than
the true Reed Solomon decoder. Patrick in his original code was doing
exhaustive search for all codes accepting two receive errors. Current
implementations of RSID decoder in all applications supporting it take
advantage of hashing method to speed up the exhaustive search.

73, Vojtech OK1IAK