> By synchronous detection, Vojtech, do you mean treating the first start bit
> as the beginning of a synchronous multi-character sequence, thereby
> providing some protection against "broken" start and stop bits within that
> sequence? Brian K6STI referred to his decoding technique as employing a
> "flywheel", which I interpreted as a means of adjusting the synchronous
> timing with high-quality start bits decoded within the sequence.

Dave,

what I mean is to consider all edge into sync recovery. Most software I know is
using pretty stable clock and fills the spaces with idle characters. The
decoder needs to know how long the stop bit is, which may be estimated on the
air or configured by the user. I suppose 1.5 bit length is the most common?
Then you may try to search for raising/falling edge at 2x bit speed and slowly
adjust the sampling point.

Yes, it is some kind of "flywheel", that any synchronous decoder like PSK31
uses.

73, Vojtech OK1IAK