Can someone tell me if this makes sense --

I had a RS 2m HT with a KPC-3 and was able to reasonably connect to 3 different
stations.

I switched out the radio and put in a Kenwood TR 2600 HT.

It is lower power (2.5 vs. 5 watts), but those stations still seem to be able
to hear me, and I can still connect to two of them without issue.

However, the third one when I connect to it sends me a message back that I am
connected to it, but my KPC-3 does not recognize the connection and eventually
times out retries.

Listening to it, the difference that I hear is that station seems to respond
very quickly.  I am wondering if something is getting cut off, or I need to
adjust something int he KPC-3 to tell it to start listening sooner or stop
transmitting as long...?

Any ideas?