On Tuesday 02 February 2010 13:05:23 sszretter wrote:
> Can someone tell me if this makes sense --
>
> I had a RS 2m HT with a KPC-3 and was able to reasonably connect to 3
> different stations.
>
> I switched out the radio and put in a Kenwood TR 2600 HT.
>
> It is lower power (2.5 vs. 5 watts), but those stations still seem to be
> able to hear me, and I can still connect to two of them without issue.
>
> However, the third one when I connect to it sends me a message back that I
> am connected to it, but my KPC-3 does not recognize the connection and
> eventually times out retries.
>
> Listening to it, the difference that I hear is that station seems to
> respond very quickly.  I am wondering if something is getting cut off, or I
> need to adjust something int he KPC-3 to tell it to start listening sooner
> or stop transmitting as long...?
>
> Any ideas?

First, check that you don't have the pin inside the KPC-3 set for HT usage.
Their is a pin in the unit that needs to be moved if you haven't so that it
will send the correct responses for an HT and a mobile/base.

Second, check your AXDELAY and TXDELAY's. You might have to readjust those to
compensate for the differences in timing issues between the HT and the
mobile/base.

Third, do you have the proper cable for the Kenwood. Last I remember, there
was a difference in the placement and values of the resistors and capacitors
used between the kenwood version and the ICOM/YAESU/ALINCO/Radio Shack
cables.

If this doesn't work, try setting your squelch to open and setting the command
in the KPC-3 so that it is software controlled for recieve and transmit.

If you have any more troubles, let me know. I have the manual for the KPC-3
here and can probably walk you through the different commands and settings.

James W8ISS