--- On Mon, 2/15/10, kd0ca <kd...@arrl.net> wrote:

> From: kd0ca <kd...@arrl.net>
> Subject: [digitalradio] Netbook or Laptop better?
> To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Monday, February 15, 2010, 11:08 AM
> I run MultiPSK Ver 3.13 on a VERY old
> IBM ThinkPad running Win98 at 166 MHz. I'd like to get a
> newer, faster, better laptop.  Is there any
> disadvantage to using a netbook as compared to an actual
> laptop notebook?
>
> 73 & Thanks,
>
> Jerry KDØCA
> Washington, IA

It is all in what you want to do.  If you only want to run digital modes on ham
radio (espically portable) and no or very few other applications, the netbook
is fine if you do not mind a small display and smaller keyboard.

It does not take too much of a cpu to run many of the ham applications.
I have a netbook Asus 1000.  It works fine for what I uses it for, but I do
have a regular desktop computer to use for serious applications.
If it was the only computer I had, I would go with a regular laptop.
I do like the long battery life of this modle.  Something around 6 to 9 hours
depending on usage.  While I could add an external dvd or other devices, I have
not done that.  I have gotten a TV/FM radio thing that cost about $ 60 to make
it a TV receiver.