Trevor,
I sure hope we do not go down that road again! Seems that every time "we" as a
group go ask the FCC to make a definite decision on an issue that is being
discussed, "we" get a forced answer "we" don't really want to hear, and then
"we" start yet another discussion as to the appropriateness of their decision.
A very prominent recent example was the use of amateur radio to train for
emergencies by employees of emergency service providers such as hospitals,
police, fire departments, etc. What a bag of worms this one stirred up. Or, how
about the discussions about the no-code license ramifications. The self
proclaimed experts of every field seem to materialize out of nowhere. I am NOT
an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but have been on these reflectors
long enough to see what generally happens.

Let's hope calmer, cooler heads prevail to determine the facts of this new
mode, not try to find other thi8ngs to fit them in to make certain points one
way or the other.

My earlier point was, I do not know how to tell the difference "with a
receiver" as to what a given mode is. In the nature of how SSB works, any
modulation "could" be considered spread spectrum, even voice, if only viewed
from the purely emission standpoint. One could even show cause to identify an
SSB signal as FM in some viewpoints. Don't misunderstand me, I am not making
this proclamation, just indicating there are ways to view it that don't
necessarily follow generally accepted definitions of things (sort of like
saying FSK, PSK, etc. could be considered SS).

I have had this very conversation with folks at the FCC on more than one
occasion, and was told they are really only interested in what gets emitted
into the ether. I suspect that basic premise has not really changed in the time
after Riley left.

John
KE5HAM