--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Dave Ackrill <dave.g0...@...> wrote:

> Otherwise why so much RTTY on the bands? Even AX:25 is getting a bit
> long in the tooth now, but people still struggle on with it...

My belief is that all the RTTY is largely from contesting and DX
chasing.  Those two operations have two things in common: they
benefit from very fast turnaround, and the operators don't care
much about the high error rate.  Other modes like PSK31 have a
longer turnaround time because they transmit for a second or so
before and after the keyboard text, while RTTY is immediate and
that translates into more contacts.  The operators don't care
much about all the errors because they already know what they want
to see.  They already know the call sign of the other station, and
they already know the signal report will be 599, so if the mess
on the screen looks like their call sign and QSL that is enough
to consider it a contact.  Then I guess there are a few people
bringing old mechanical Teletype gear back to life and using it for
rag-chewing for old times' sake.

Jim W6JVE