--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Alan Barrow <ml9...@...> wrote:

> I've also observed a significant power mindset with many RTTY ops.
> Bigger is better.

This pretty much comes with the territory.  I've been in RTTY since
the late 1950s, and I just remembered recently that back then we all
ran lots of power - had to, to get good copy.  I used a home-built
500 watt transmitter for a number of years, then switched to a TMC
rig with a KW linear amplifier.  Used that until the AMTOR mode
came along, and then I got a TS-940 and used that barefoot and other
radios in the 50-100 watt class ever since.  And I don't do much RTTY
anymore, but then nobody else does either except the DX guys and
contesters.