  From: W2XJ
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 01:24 UTC
  Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Consensus? Is ROS Legal in US?`

  I have a different take on this. There are a number of modes that uses
vertebrae coding which could be mis-described as spread spectrum by some. The
problem with part 97 is that it tries to be as broad as possible where
technical parameters are concerned. In this case it causes things to be vague.
There are many things that can be described as spread spectrum that are not by
definition in part 97. FM would be one of them.  Anytime information is
transmitted in a wider bandwidth than necessary it could be described as spread
spectrum. This would include some low noise modes. The problem is that we
petitioned the FCC to loosen SS rules and the more vague those rules are made
the more open to debate they are.

  The worst that can happen under the rules if one would be operating ROS in
the phone segment would be an order to cease such operation if the comish so
ordered.