On 02/22/2010 09:09 PM, Dave 'Doc' Corio wrote:

> However, there is one thing the tuner will NOT do. It will not remember
> any band or frequency, until the transmitter is keyed.
> For example: I operate CW on 14.035 for a period of time. I then have a
> CW sked on 18.075. After the sked I move back to 14.035. The tuner is
> still set for the last transmission, which was on 18.075. Until I
> transmit on 14.035 again, the signals are a bit attenuated, since the
> tuner is set for a different frequency.

I have noticed the same with my LDG AT-200 Pro.

The effect is especially pronounced when moving from a low
frequency to a high frequency, eg. having an 80m QSO and
then moving to 12m.

The attenuation can be quite significant and it may be
useful to transmit a short tone (a fraction of a second
is enough) to get your antenna tuned on that band.

Of course, after you do that, reception on the band will
be enhanced.

One reason that this effect is not seen with internal
tuners is that the tuner is only present in the transmit
path inside the radio - the tuner is never used for
receive.

With an external tuner, you may need to tickle it to get
better reception - but IMHO that is outweighed by the
potential of getting better reception.

--
All rights reversed.