Kevin,
FYI...here is a little email i sent to another ham last week on the topic.

Hi, Roger.

Regarding my SDR.  I find it to be both great, and a bit of a pain!    I did
not want to spend lots of money, nor do I possess the skills to build an
inexpensive one from a kit.  My very talented friend , W3VG, bought a softrock
kit 3 weeks ago and despite his talents, he is finding it quite a challenge.
So, I bought a SDR-IQ for $499 after selling a 21 year old TS-440 for around
$400.

Having wide (up to 190  khz)  spectrum to visually see signals is really
amazing, hard to imagine being with out it now.  Visually spotting DX is much
easier than twirling a dial, you also find stations not yet announced on a DX
cluster.  On a crowded band, it is not as useful because it can be a pain to
click on hundreds of signals.  However, on a no-so-active band, it is fun
looking for tiny whispers of signals and  then hearing a CQ call.  My SDR has
the ability to listen with 3 VFOs (depending on the software used), so you can
actually hear three different parts of the spectrum at the same time.  I also
can have two signals , one playing via the right speaker and one via the left,
if I choose.  I can also listen to LSB AND USB, CW and SSB  , various
combinations ...at the same time.

I find the sensitivity to be not significantly different than my TS2000, if I
can hear it on the TS200, I can usually hear it on the SDR-IQ.  There is a bit
more white noise hiss on the SDR but I can handle that.  You can use noise
reduction features, but I usually just ignore the noise.  There will probably
be times where my TS-2000 hears somethings the SDR-IQ does not, but not on a
regular basis.

If you do CW work, CW Skimmer is great with an SDR.  It will find all the CW
signals that are sending a CQ within the 192 hz span (or more if your SDR
allows) and list them on a screen for you to click on and QSY to.  Very useful.

The pain in the neck part is two-fold.  One , transmitting on one antenna and
receiving via the SDR on another,  is a hazard.  If not careful, you can blow
the front end of the SDR if too much RF gets in.  I bought a device that
protects the front end , there are 3-4 types available.  This apparently
applies to ALL SDRs, not just the SDR-IQ.  The SDR-IQ designer tells me that
the ONLY way to be 100% safe is to disconnect the SDR while transmitting.  That
can be a pain.  What I do is.. I have a coax switch on my desk and I switch the
SDR's antenna to ground before I transmit.  So, there is that added step.  Not
a major hassle unless doing rapid fire work, like in a contest.   Having a
dedicated SDR transceiver using just one antenna would presumably solve this
problem. The commercial devices you can buy either detect the RF and invoke
protection circuits (the one I have)  or use a PTT line and switch the antenna
to ground (more expensive, $120)  There is an application , called rig-sync ,
that I use.  One click of a mouse and my TS-2000 moves to the frequency and
mode that my SDR is in.  Very useful.I also have a Microkeyer interface, with
the software that comes with that, I can also control my TS--2000 AND SDR-IQ

My SDR does not require a high end sound card, some others do.   When you run
an SDR, you can SEE large chunks of spectrum, but you can't hear large chunks.
Some SDR software allows your to hear as much as 12 khz of audio, others just
3-6 Khz.  That is not a big problem because your ears can not handle all those
signals.  Where it is an issue is for digital modes.  Digital mode software has
not caught up with SDRs yet.  All, except Multipsk, will decode whatever audio
spectrum you can get out of the digital mode software.  usually around 4 khz.
So, even if the SDR software allows larger chunks of audio, FL-digi, DM780,
MixW, et al, will not decode more than the standard.  Multipsk has a feature
that WILL decode from an SDR directly.  48 Khz of spectrum is monitored and it
will even detect RS-ID over that entire range, VERY cool.  Multipsk does not
support all SDRs...yet .  So, in my case', it accepts the signal and works
nicely, BUT I have to 'start" the SDR-IQ via SDR software.  Thus I have two CPU
demanding applications running and it taxes my low end PC.  My sons Optiplex
270 with a 2.7 CPU runs all of this without problem, so it does not take a
whole lot more CPU.  Multipsk may soon include more SDR support and then I
would not have to use two applications at the same time.  DM780 is also
expected to add SDR support.

Some SDRs like Sofrock  can only do a small chunk of spectrum at a time (around
40 khz) , some do the same as mine (192 khz) and some (in the $1000-2000 range)
do 2-3  mhz broken down in to several chunks per band.  If I was doing it
again, I would think more about getting the ability to monitor ALL bands.  I
did not consider a Flex radio because that requires a high-end sound card and
computer, by the time you are finished, it will cost more than $3000.

Andy K3UK
--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Gmail - Kevin, Natalia, Stacey &