Let me "drill down" on this some more to find out the prevailing view...
Would those that object to Bonnie's idea, also object if the "wide" modes
were not part of the issue?.  How about these objections if there was a
digital mode under 500 Hz that transmitted "unattended" under automatic
control?  It seems to me, that after years of complaints that PACTOR, ALE,
and CW (W1AW) just fire up in the middle of a on-going QSO, that having an
area designated for automatic unattended operations makes sense.  Then, if
we operate there, we do so knowing that W1AW or a WINMOR server may activate
at any moment? (actually W1AW has a schedule , but you get my drift).  A 500
Hz sliver of spectrum in 80, 60 (yes)  30, 17,  and  10M would be all that
is needed.  The current ALE, Winmor, Pactor, operators (there really are
only about 200 in the world ,  TOTAL  ) would then use narrow forms of their
mode to achieve their aims . coordinate schedules between them, and have
2500 Hz where their operations are primary, and other hams communications in
these segments would be secondary.

Andy K3UK