>>>AA6YQ comments below

-----Original Message-----
From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:digitalra...@yahoogroups.com]on
Behalf Of KH6TY
Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2010 2:07 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Busy detect screenshot for Winmor

Dave,

I realize you have championed the idea of a busy detector for a long time,
but unless it cannot be switched off, it will eventually be switched off,
and those mailboxes will be spread over the bands, since they are allowed to
go anywhere RTTY can.

>>>I would be happy to see servers incorporate busy frequency detectors that
cannot be disabled. However, adoption by server operators will require the
elimination of intentional QRM.

What is wrong with keeping narrow bandwidth servers with busy detectors
operating at the high end of Winlink Pactor-III channels, since Pactor-III
seldom reaches the highest speed level for very long and decreases bandwidth
to suit the lower speeds?

>>>There are two reasons to encourage servers with effective busy frequency
detectors to utilize available frequencies:

1. it provides an incentive for server operators to incorporate busy
frequency detectors

2. it demonstrates to the broader community that servers with busy frequency
detectors are as polite as human operators, which should reduce the rate of
intentional QRM

>>>If a server operator is not yet confident in the effectiveness of the
busy frequency detector included in his or her server, then using
frequencies within the "automatic sub-bands" is good way to monitor the busy
frequency detector's effectiveness and either gain the confidence that the
detector works well enough to operate outside those sub-bands, or not.

Your assumption is that Winmor servers and clients will always keep busy
detect activated, but it has been shown that mailbox operators grow
impatient to retrieve email, and if a channel is busy too often, will
transmit anyway in an attempt to override the traffic already on the
channel, even among servers of like kind.

>>>As I've said, it would be best if busy frequency detectors were
permanently enabled -- but there will likely need to be progress on all
sides before this happens. Just getting an effective busy frequency detector
into every WinLink PMBO would be a huge positive step.

Why not try the busy detector/busy operators in a place designed for other
automatic stations and see how well the whole system works. That is my
suggestion.

>>>Its my impression that the WinMOR busy frequency detector has been
well-characterized as effective (going back to its original deployment in
SCAMP), so its not clear to me why more evaluation is required.

>>>The longer we keep digging our hole deeper, the longer it will take to
escape.

  73,

       Dave, AA6YQ