rein...@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> Why did you wait so long with contributing here?
> Please explain.

Hello Rein,

I've posted on this subject several times in the past with ITU & IEEE
references as well.

It does seem to get lost in the noise at times.

It does not help at all that the ROS author was doing much to incite
hatred toward the mode, which unfortunately flows over to anything that
looks/smells like ROS. (Specifically SS'ish type modes)

The most problematic aspects are the way the whole dialog about ROS as
handled are:

- Overly simplistic tests/definitions on an already poorly defined (from
FCC reg perspective) mode

- Simplistic bandwidth comparisons that do not factor in total
throughput. (IE: The effect of processor gain, FEC, etc). I don't think
ROS was stellar here, but the idea that a wider mode for X data rate is
worse than a narrower mode is flawed. Otherwise we'd all be using RTTY.
FEC increases bandwidth for the same data rate, but the trade off
surfaces over sustained measurement in real (difficult) HF conditions.
Skip's work did show there was not a big win for ROS, so we arrived at
the right spot. But many were banning just because it was wider than
their favorite mode!

- Lack of consideration that multiple SS signals could occupy the same
spectrum, effectively decreasing the total required bandwidth. There is
a point of diminishing returns, and ROS may not fare well. But if I
could stack a dozen or more data signals simultaneously in a single SSB
width slot, would that be a bad thing? Or what if a AF type SS (AFSS?)
mode could live on a non-interference basis, should it be banned just
because it was technically SS? No testing was done that I'm aware of
that would have allowed real world throughput to be measured with
multiple signals on the same channel. This is one of the big wins of DSSS!

- Assumption that the current FCC reg is the end all. It was accurate
for state of the art when added. But no one foresaw that DSP's would
allow an audio based SS implementation inside a SSB bandwidth. The FCC
reg was written to address the then current DSSS modems which used
spreading factors of 100x with direct IF injection, etc. And are totally
inappropriate for HF usage. Put another way, most professional RF
engineers would consider any audio based scheme to not be DSSS as it's
just not how it's done. Pretty much all real world DSSS systems use IF
level modulation to the point that it's one of the main identifying
characteristics.

- Very inappropriate involvement of the FCC. This is absolutely not the
way to approach a new mode, the answer is nearly always "check the regs".

One thing we can probably all agree on is that ROS is pretty much dead
for consideration in the US. The waters are too muddied at this point.

I'm more concerned about impact to the next innovation.

And the fact that all the noise & behavior set aside, the author did
implement something new that should have been evaluated on it's merits
before declared illegal via trial by yahoogroup. (Before he hastened
it's demise due to his own unprofessional behavior).

Personally, this episode just cements my believe that the US will be
trapped using legacy modes & arcane restrictions for the most part until
some form of bandwidth based bandplan approach is implemented like much
of the civilized world.

Lest we crow about some of the more recent innovations, we have to
factor in that rtty still rules the airwaves from a number of users and
usage perspective.

And it's about as inefficient a mode we could come up with when impact
to the spectrum is factored in. (medium power, wide sidebands, single
user per channel, etc). Call me when there is a weekend with as many PSK
signals on the air as one of the (too frequent) RTTY contests.

I'm not opposed to RTTY, exactly the opposite. But it's the RTTY centric
regs that hamper our development. Even things like P3 & winmor are
having to go the long way around to maximize performance while not
running afoul of the arcane RTTY based regs. (Much less use of tech like
the FS-1052 modems, etc)

Have fun,

Alan
km4ba