bg...@comcast.net wrote:
> [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from bg...@comcast.net included below]
>

> Delighted I am to find the 1998 version of 47CFR97.311 on the GPO
> website, attached.
> We are both maybe correct.
>
> The FCC prescribed the method, the operator filled in the variables,
> which he kept in a log and logged it every time s/he changed a variable.

Yep, I agree!

Your information is newer, but very much follows the intent of the FCC
expressed for the interactions I was aware of.

I found their approach quite reasonable.

There are those who assume any mode they cannot copy with free software
is "encrypted" and illegal, and that is for sure not the case as well.
There was a separate ruling on that one if I recall.

Have fun,

Alan
km4ba