From: "Alan Barrow" <ml9...@pinztrek.com>
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:03:01 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] SS and the FCC definitions

bg...@comcast.net wrote:
> I'm thinking another reason for the restrictions - SS is also a very
> good means of encryption.
> The previous rules on SS required use of a particular type of SS and
> the key number was specified in the rule..
> Probably in a pre 1999 ARRL rule book , if anyone really needed to
> look. There might exist a method of finding old versions of the CFR
> online, but I have not looked.

This is absolutely not the case.

I know from first hand experience that all you have to do is be prepared
to present any coding sequence upon demand. And that coding (viterbi,
pseudo-random, whatever) does not constitute encryption to the FCC's.

This was resolved back in the early packet days and the WA4DSY 56k modems.

This is true of many of the other modes/modems. And was also ruled upon
by the FCC due to challenges by the anti-Pactor crowd.

Have fun,

Alan
km4ba