Andy,

Will you be cutting the 2m/70cm portions for FM or the SSB  portion? Those two
might get tricky as 70cm is a harmonic of 2m. It of course can potentially be
advantageous if using one antenna (or radiator) for both so long as you can
live with the way it radiates. Radiation lobes for 2m will not generally be
pointing the same direction as 70cm. People quite often build vertical J-poles
as a dual band antenna, and while the vast majority load just fine on both it
is absolutely not true that they radiate efficiently on both. On 70cm they
radiate both up 45 deg & down 45 deg- leaving the horizon virtually uncovered.
Which is not to say one can't use it for a given repeater on 70cm but it won't
be efficient no matter how you slice it. (Fong J-pole is an exception to this
rule since it has a phasing section which corrects this- if you want a truly
omnidirectional this is an easy & inexpensive way to get those two bands in a
vertical) A fan dipole built as a sloper this may or may not work for you and
is likely to be somewhat if only slightly directional, but 70cm might be iffy.
Horizontal likely should be no problem at all (though more directional again),
so long as it worked out resonant for both bands. It is all in making the
radiation go somewhere useful. I have not calculated nor experimented with this
on the SSB portions yet; though a rough guesstimate suggests they should line
up close enough.

Simply leaving separate wires for each 2m & 70cm will likely leave the 70cm
section doing little unless you install traps on the 2m wires- assuming the 2m
portion remains close to being resonant on both 2m & 70cm. At least this is my
recollection from an experiment some years ago- I recall I could never get the
70cm element to do much no matter how I oriented it. Wire is cheap, so have fun
playing with it! By the way, you'll find the interactivity (the multiple wires
trying to detune each other) reduced quite a bit if you can manage to keep the
wires far enough apart. Spreading them out in different directions to some
degree can help a lot- if that is an option at your QTH. These are all quite
short which should help.

Stu AF6IT