Hello Adib,

CROSS was the product of Tim Newman and myself, and was created a couple of
years ago.  Development stopped some time ago, and the documentation is
wildly out-of-date, but the code is still freely available:
http://www.cornet.wireless.vt.edu/trac/wiki/Cross

<http://www.cornet.wireless.vt.edu/trac/wiki/Cross>CROSS does provide a
_skeleton_ cognitive engine, and a framework to wrap it in, but it does not
provide a working cognitive engine out-of-the-box.  The goal of the project
was to develop something we could sit on top of any SDR platform - GNURadio,
OSSIE, whatever, and establish a distributed waveform.

I've actually never looked at Tom's work, so I can't comment on the
similarities.  It may be very similar.  My understanding, and Tom can
correct me if I'm wrong, was that Tom's dissertation focused mostly on the
CE component itself.  CROSS is algorithm and CE agnostic; it cares only
about how the components talk to each other.

Glad to hear you found it useful enough to cite, and I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Ben