Thanks, Josh.

How can I specify the peak from GRC generated Python code? For example,
when I select the sc8 wire format, the following code is generated through
GRC.

stream_args=uhd.stream_args(
                cpu_format="fc32",
                otw_format="sc8",
                channels=range(1),
            ),

If I want to limit the peak to 0.1 (if the received signal is very weak),
can I just use the following?

stream_args=uhd.stream_args(
                cpu_format="fc32",
                otw_format="sc8",
                peak = 0.5,
                channels=range(1),
            ),

Thanks,

Nazmul

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Josh Blum <j...@ettus.com> wrote:

> On 07/26/2012 05:09 PM, Nazmul Islam wrote:
> > Hi Josh,
> >
> > I am just wondering how the USRP performs the 8 bit mapping for I & Q
> > samples. The ADC & DAC have 12 - 14 bit precision, I think. When I select
> > the sc8 wire format, does the USRP divide the entire received signal
> range
> > into 2^8 sectors and uses one number to represent each of those?
> >

> Technically, there is just a multiply and slice operation. You can
> specify peak to optimize for the best use of t 8 bits of dynamic range.
> See:
>
> http://files.ettus.com/uhd_docs/doxygen/html/structuhd_1_1stream__args__t.html#a4463f2eec2cc7ee70f84baacbb26e1ef
>
> -josh
>
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Nazmul

> >> me.
> >>>

> >> The host format and the wire format are totally independent options
> >> here. Both of these properties also configurable properties in the GRC
> >> USRP source/sink blocks.
> >>
> >> * You need to set the wire format to sc8 (thats 2 bytes per complex
> >> sample) to achieve 50 Msps over gigabit ethernet.
> >>
> >> * The desired host format does not have to change. fc32 (complex floats)
> >> is a perfectly valid setting
> >>
> >> -josh

Muhammad Nazmul Islam

Graduate Student
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Wireless Information & Networking Laboratory
Rutgers, USA.