Marcus,

I have tested this under the Ubuntu LiveUSB on a couple of machine and the same problem occurs every time.

Regards,

Mark McCarron
The problem stems from the fact that too much of the internal machinery in the wxGUI graphical sinks are computed in Python.

For long FFTs, and even modest update rates, those computations take longer than is strictly healthy for dealing with the arrival of
  new samples, so the GUI thread gets wedged.

Again, given the fact that your display geometry is likely less than 1280 wide, you'll simply lose information for FFTs larger than that. But I've
  already said that.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator