Thanks Martin, this is clear and makes sense. I should have read the numpy data
types more thoroughly and worked it out. Anyway...

My collaborators are writing their Wireless Network Coding bits in Python. Once
I get this block working, I can combined it with the relay work I was doing and
we will have a pretty exciting setup to report!! :)

I have one more problem though...

I have

"out_bA1 = output_items[0]

...code

out_bA1[0:len(est_bA1m)] = est_bA1m"

where

out_bA1.shape = (1,)
est_bA1m.shape = (3840,)

I get the error " output operand requires a reduction, but reduction is not
enabled"

*Sometimes* I get

out_bA1.shape = (2,)
est_bA1m.shape = (3840,)

and I get the error "operands could not be broadcast together with shapes (2)
(3840)"

I wondered if the problem is with 'forecast' (which I have not changed since
the template was created by gr_modtool) or having to set_output_multiple? The
scheduling aspect of GNU radio seems complex.

If I use

" out_bA1 = est_bA1m"

Then it *runs* OK, but the output of the block i.e. output_items[0] is then no
longer altered and 0's are output.

Many thanks,

David