On 04/23/2014 09:31 AM, Marcus Müller wrote:
Hi,
looking at the N200 schematics from files.ettus.com, I'd say:
stick to the 0dBm, your clock signal has to pass a transformer and some safety/matching circuitry and still ought to be more accurate than the on-board VCTCXO; the clock multiplexer (http://www.micrel.com/index.php/en/products/clock-timing/clock-data-distribution/multiplexers/article/29-sy89545l.html) datasheet says it needs at least a voltage swing of 0.1V after that. I'm not very much of a circuits person, but I think you won't deteriorate much of your clock accuracy by using a clock buffer, which are quite inexpensive (if you need but one and are not afraid to solder... TI gives away samples for free). Then again, you're trying to achieve a better clock performance than the on-board 10MHz ref clock, so I guess you shouldn't start introducing cheap hardware in the clock signal path...

Greetings,
Marcus

I think the main thing to watch out for with clock buffers is their linearity, since low-level non-linearity effects can increase phase-noise.
  Perhaps not a lot, but a little.

I'd use a clock buffer, and see.

--
Marcus Leech