thanks Tom! That seemed to get me one step further.
a couple of notes:
1) do you any thoughts on the next error (output included below)? looks
like the same thing except, polarssl is now not mentioned in the
findgnuradio.cmake file.
2) a friend mentioned to me that there is a pybombs recipe for openlte
which i ran successfully (while feeling like a bit of a dope for not
thinking of it first).

with that said, shouldn't i still be able to compile the source for openlte
without using its pybombs recipe? I would like to resolve the cmake error,
but in the interest of not wasting your time, please understand that
openlte DID compile through pybombs. I guess the cmake issue is just a bit
bothersome, especially if i want to compile GNURadio code that is out of
tree for pybombs.

thanks,
-ben

output after making the previously suggested

cnlsdr1@cnlsdr1:~/openlte_v00-18-03/build/CMakeFiles$ cmake ../
-- Build type not specified: defaulting to release.
-- Boost version: 1.54.0
-- Found the following Boost libraries:
--   system
Checking for GNU Radio Module: RUNTIME
 * INCLUDES=/home/cnlsdr1/pybombs/include
 * LIBS=/home/cnlsdr1/pybombs/lib/libgnuradio-runtime.so
GNURADIO_RUNTIME_FOUND = TRUE
Checking for GNU Radio Module: BLOCKS
 * INCLUDES=/home/cnlsdr1/pybombs/include
 * LIBS=/home/cnlsdr1/pybombs/lib/libgnuradio-blocks.so
GNURADIO_BLOCKS_FOUND = TRUE
Checking for GNU Radio Module: FILTER
 * INCLUDES=/home/cnlsdr1/pybombs/include
 * LIBS=/home/cnlsdr1/pybombs/lib/libgnuradio-filter.so
GNURADIO_FILTER_FOUND = TRUE
Checking for GNU Radio Module: PMT
 * INCLUDES=/home/cnlsdr1/pybombs/include
 * LIBS=/home/cnlsdr1/pybombs/lib/libgnuradio-pmt.so
GNURADIO_PMT_FOUND = TRUE
-- Could NOT find GNURADIO_OSMOSDR (missing:
 GNURADIO_OSMOSDR_INCLUDE_DIRS)
-- UHD LIBRARIES /home/cnlsdr1/pybombs/lib/libuhd.so
-- UHD INCLUDE DIRS /home/cnlsdr1/pybombs/include
-- checking for module 'polarssl'
--   package 'polarssl' not found
-- POLARSSL LIBRARIES /usr/lib/libpolarssl.so
-- POLARSSL INCLUDE DIRS /usr/include
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:103 (message):
  GNURadio Osmosdr required to compile openLTE
  (http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/GrOsmoSDR)